This page has moved to a new address.

DIY Nature Slides & Light Play

Where Imagination Grows: DIY Nature Slides & Light Play

Sunday, October 6, 2013

DIY Nature Slides & Light Play

 
 
Being outside and exploring nature is something that we do a lot of. Lately we've acquired a large collection of leaves, seeds, and flowers that the kids find on the ground and bring home.  I've been trying to find ways to corporate them into our daily activities.

Today some of the kids were playing with our fall tree activity on the light table and one of the daycare girls decided to add the flowers from our nature collection.  This was a great idea, I tried to think of ways to expand on it a bit.  I ended up placing some of the other leaves and flowers in between two pieces of contact paper, I pulled them apart a bit so the light would shine through and they looked more like slides.

We ended up with these: (some of the pictures look better in person, my camera doesn't pick up the color very well on the light table)
 
  
(Note: I started to create an edging with painters tape around the prints, hence the blue tape on the leaf, like these shape one I have been meaning to make but the kids were eager to start exploring so I just let them play rather than finishing the edging)
 
"Can I smell them?"
 
We also had fun putting them up to the window and using the sunlight to explore:

 
...and putting different colored items behind them to find colors that matched!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At October 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Lauren from Tutus and Tea Parties said...

I love this idea! It looks so pretty on the light table. Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

 
At October 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM , Blogger Eva Lewis said...

This is such a beautiful activity!

 
At October 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Rachel Brown said...

This is stunning! I really need to do this on our light table :) Thank you for the inspiration! I'm pinning :)

 
At October 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Jill EnchantedHomeschoolingMom said...

These nature slides look like fun. If only I had a light table to use. Now to have my hubby create one for the kiddos and I :-) Thank you for sharing and for linking up this week to the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop.

 
At October 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Where Imagination Grows said...

The kids loved using them in the sunlight from the window too, but it's a really good excuse to get the hubby to make a light table ;)

 
At October 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM , Anonymous Linda said...

We don't have a light table, but we do have windows! Even my older kids will enjoy this activity. pinning!

 
At October 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Lauren from Tutus and Tea Parties said...

I just wanted to pop back in and let you know that I've featured you at this week's Pinning for Play link party!

 
At October 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM , Blogger Crystal Mcclean said...

What a great idea! i'm sure your children have had a lot of fun with this! I'll be featuring you on Mom's Library this week at Crystal's Tiny Treasures.

 
At October 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM , Blogger JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is such a pretty activity! I think my son would love it.

 
At October 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Where Imagination Grows said...

Thanks so much!! :)

 
At October 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Where Imagination Grows said...

Thank you! :)

 
At October 16, 2013 at 4:21 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

These are gorgeous! I just made a little light table, and now I want to try it! Featured you on Mom's Library this week!

 
At October 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Resh said...

Looks beautiful! Beauty of Fall! Stopping by from mom's library
-Reshama @ Stackingbooks.com

 
At October 18, 2013 at 3:38 AM , Blogger Beth Gorden said...

What a fun idea to use your light table with the pretty fall leaves! I pinned to my preschool play & Learn board!

Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I hope to see you linked up again later today.

Have a GREAT weekend,
Beth =)

 
At October 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Chelsey Marashian said...

What a fabulous idea! They look gorgeous and seem so fun to explore! Thank you so much for linking up to Discover & Explore!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home